The Cinderella Coaching Series is an 11 week training program designed specifically to meet the needs of new riders.
Focus – Learn and practice cycling skills. The emphasis will be on practicing the skills – nothing we ask is going to be tremendously difficult (wait until you meet your coaches and you’ll understand: if we can do it, so can you!) Our goal is to ingrain the fundamentals of safe and efficient cycling in each student, so doing the right things will be become a habit – and you can save the adrenaline for the exceptional cases.
The following topics, and whatever else comes up, will be covered:
- What you need besides a bike: what to carry on your bike, why you need bike shorts and gloves, why you never see serious cyclists in sweat shirts, choosing and using clipless pedals, etc.
- Staying fueled
- Bike handling skills: riding in traffic, getting your water bottle while riding, starting in traffic, stopping, emergency stops, shifting, climbing, descending, cornering, staying comfortable on your bike.
- Group riding skills: starting in a group of cyclists, holding a line, signaling, drafting.
- Basic maintenance: fixing a flat, getting your bike ready to ride, cleaning your bike, making minor adjustments.
For 2019 we will have two separate coaching rides and will then join the conditioning series. All rides will be no-drop, of course, becoming progressively more challenging. They will have you ready to roll for the 100K Valley Spokesmen’s Cinderella Classic and Challenge ride on March 30, 2019 (separate entry fee).
If you have questions please take a look at the FAQ page.
For the list of training rides for the Coaching Series please see our Training Routes page.
Other FFBC Training Series
Starting around the same time as the Cinderella Coaching Series, FFBC will be offering other training series at no cost to club members. These series will be offered for 10-11 weeks on both Saturdays and Sundays. Check the FFBC ride calendar in January for ride descriptions, dates, and start locations.
For beginning women cyclists or those with limited group experience, the coaching series offers an opportunity to join a small group of women focusing on improving your skills and progressing to a metric century bicycle ride. There are several other series for riders with more group riding experience.
- Cinderella Conditioning – these rides have something for everyone – from those who just have some group bicycling experience, including Cinderella Coaching graduates, to those who can maintain a moderate pace. The rides increase in mileage and climbing over the course of the series. Some of the later rides have an option to do less climbing. The pace will be Touring (T = 10-13 mph) to Moderate plus, based on the group (M = 13-16 mph). These are no-drop rides lead by women who want to see other women and men gain the confidence to tackle any ride. Riders should be comfortable riding in a group, descending, following a route sheet, and maintaining the touring pace.
- The Less Aggressive Progressive (LAP) Rides – these rides are similar to the Conditioning Series but will increase their mileage and climbing a bit more aggressively, with the same goal of training for a metric century. If you are looking to do a bit more climbing than the Conditioning Series offers, this would be a good fit for you. The pace will be Touring (T = 10-13 mph) – Moderate (M = 13-16 mph). These are no-drop rides lead by former Cinderella Training Ride Leaders and other club ride leaders.
- The Progressive Rides Series (PRS) – the goal of the PRS rides is to prepare riders for the annual 100 mile Primavera Workers Ride at the start of April. The series starts with shorter, flatter rides building up pretty quickly to a full century. These are no-drop rides with a moderate pace (M = 13-16 mph). Sometimes the PRS rides are also offered at a Brisk (B = 16-19 mph) pace. If you have participated in multiple 100K ride and are looking for your next cycling challenge this may be the series you’re looking for!
Start times, start locations, ride descriptions, and ride leader contact information will be provided in the FFBC ride calendar starting in January for all training series.
- Cinderella Coaching: Saturdays, January 12 – March 23
- Cinderella Conditioning: Saturdays: Jan 19 – March 23
- Less Aggressive Progressive (LAP) Rides: TBD
- Progressive Ride Series (PRS): TBD
Between these four ride series, you should be able to find a training program to get you in excellent cycling shape for the Spring century season!
Back to Cinderella main page
469 total views, 1 views today