We are grateful to our Ride Leaders – the heart and soul of the club!
Qualifications to be a ride leader: (1) you are willing to lead a ride and (2) you are a FFBC club member in good standing.
Ride Leaders do these things …
- Before the ride
- Establish the route, pace, and submit your ride to the ride calendar
- Print the sign-up sheets you will need (assumes Road)
- Print a copy of the insurance Incident Report Form and know how-to use it
- Pack the above paper forms and bring a pen and/or pencil
- By 7 AM (or at-least 90 minutes before the ride starts) – decide if this ride needs to become a Show-and-Go due to weather, air-quality, or ride leader availability.
- At the start
- You are the host today – be welcoming
- Sign-in riders and get any minor waivers signed
- Ask if anyone needs your mobile phone number; if requested, remind that your phone number can found on the Ride Calendar for this ride entry.
- Introductions: individual and perhaps group introductions
- Preview the route; announce any safety concerns and the first meet-up point
- Remind riders to follow traffic safety rules and be attentive to traffic and road conditions
- During the ride
- Have fun and stay safe
- Remind ride members to make this a safer ride by calling out
- potential road hazards
- using hand signals (when you safely can) for turns and stops
- Remind ride members to make this ride enjoyable for all
- help riders understand the route, so they do not become lost
- help new riders understand the group pace, so they don’t either zoom ahead or get dropped
- Pay attention to riders who are struggling and take an appropriate action (e.g., slow-down to help rider reach the finish)
- After the ride
- Make sure everyone is accounted for
- Thank people for joining and helping out
- Let people know about next week’s ride and other upcoming club rides
- Mail (U.S. post) the sign-in sheet to the Pedal Pounder Coordinator at – FFBC-Pedal Pounders, P.O. Box 1868, Fremont, CA 94538. The Pedal Pounder manager now accepts (actually prefers) electronic copies of the sign-in sheets (photo copies form your cell phone). Send them to: Pedal Pounders Coordinator
- Follow-up if there was an incident that requires an Accident Report
A tip to keep scheduled, weekly ride ongoing:
Have another ride leader to rotate weeks with, add variety to the routes, and be a back-up for each other. Consider creating a rotation of 3-5 ride leaders.
370 total views, 4 views today